In January of this year, we were lucky enough to show the Guardian’s James Forrest around Vidzeme, the northern region of Latvia. As part of a media initiative with Magnetic Latvia, we were asked to put together a 4-day program for the Guardian newspaper. We wanted to show the very best that Latvian nature and culture could offer.
To do this we prepared a program that squeezed in 4 days, more than most do in 2 weeks. Here is what we did.
Day 1: Arrival
- Airport pick-up and transfer to Mālpils manor for overnight stay.
Day 2: Sigulda, Līgatne & Cēsis
- Mālpils manor tour.
- Visit Bobsleigh & Luge track in Sigulda (and try it of course).
- Lunch at Cafe Zeit.
- Woodworking Masterclass.
- Dinner at H.E Vanadzins Restaurant.
Day 3: Cēsis, Valmiera & Gauja National Park
- Guided tour Gaujas National Park.
- Cēsis Guided Tour.
- Lunch in Ungurmuiža.
- Beer tasting & excursion at Valmiermuiža brewery.
- Latvian sauna & bathhouse experience.
- Overnight stay at Lantus country house.
Day 4: Bērzaine, Dikli & Liepupe
- Bog shoe walking in Niedrāju-Pilkas bog.
- Lunch at Liepupe manor house.
- Gogelmogels homemade Ice-cream
- Visit Deer Park.
- Return to Rīga.